This meal planning on a budget post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting Pennies Into Pearls by using my links!
Whew! The holidays are over. There is something about having a fresh start in January that really makes things feel fresh. We have created this meal plan for the month based around simplicity and resetting after the holidays.
Pearl! I got you! Make sure you read this article on how to meal plan for beginners. In there you will find all the tips you need to make sure that you plan to the best of your ability and stay on budget!
- Free Printable Meal Planner
- 10 Holiday Shopping Tips Every Mom NEEDS to Know
- Weekly Grocery Shopping Tips to Save You Time & Money
- My Favorite and ONLY Grocery Rebate App
3 Tips for Resetting After the Holidays
- Clean out your pantry! Make sure you take inventory of everything you have leftovers and use those ingredients to form your meal plan for this month.
- Simplify your meal plan. Make lots of soups and slow cooker meals so you can re energize after the holidays.
- Leave a little wiggle room for a pizza night or evening you don’t feel like cooking (especially if you hosted a lot of holiday guests).
Our Family’s Monthly Grocery Budget
If you are new here, hi! You are probably interested to know what we set for our monthly grocery budget. This is how we work it.
$380 for consumable goods for our giant monthly grocery haul. $160 for non consumable goods. In addition to that, using our cash envelope budget we use $35 each week for fresh produce and milk.
In order to be able to take advantage of sales throughout the month, we budget $40 each month to use when I see a super great deal. We will then freeze or store that food and use it in planning the following month’s meal plan.
The key to sticking to monthly meal plan on a budget is to make sure that when you are making your grocery list, you put for every single item an estimated cost and then total what you expect to pay at the register.
It’s a super simple step that you can do to make sure you stick to your grocery budget. I make it even easier for you with this free meal planning printable.
January 2020 Grocery Haul
Take a peek at what it looks like to buy all non-perishable or freezable groceries for this exact meal plan.
I’d love to hear any questions you have! Leave them down in the comments below
January 2020 Meal Plan + Grocery Haul
Just click the image below to download this month’s free meal plan. Once you have downloaded the pdf, each meal idea is a clickable link to the recipe.