Summer is not the time to let your meal planning on a budget slip! All over social media I have seen mom’s biting their nails in horror thinking about feeding their family and sticking to a budget this summer!
This post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting Pennies Into Pearls by using my links!
Pearl! I got you! Make sure you read this article on how to meal plan for beginners. In there you will find all the tips you need to make sure that you plan to the best of your ability and stay on budget.
- Free Printable Meal Planner
- A Mom’s Favorite Money Savings Grocery Shopping Tips
- Weekly Grocery Shopping Tips to Save You Time & Money
- My Favorite and ONLY Grocery Rebate App
- July 2017 Family Meal Plan on a Budget
3 Tips for Meal Planning on a Budget in the Summer
- Plan meals that are easy to pack up to take on the go. That way if an unexpected trip to the park, lake, or where ever comes up, you can still get dinner ready and take it with you.
- Set boundaries with the family to be clear on what they can and can not have free rein over when it comes to your groceries. I have found it helpful to have “snack baskets” and on each basket write how many items from each basket each family member is allowed to eat each day.
- Plan meals that can feed a crowd. At least once a week I like to have one meal option that can easily feed a crowd. Things like taco bars, pasta bars, salad bars, are all examples of ways to feed a bunch of people if a last minute get together finds its way to your house.
Our Family’s Monthly Grocery Budget
If you are new here, hi! You are probably interested to know what we set for our monthly grocery budget. This is how we work it.
$300 for consumable goods for our giant monthly grocery haul. $160 for non consumable goods. In addition to that, using our cash envelope budget we use $25 each week for fresh produce and milk.
In order to be able to take advantage of sales throughout the month, we budget $40 each month to use when I see a super great deal. We will then freeze or store that food and use it in planning the following month’s meal plan.
The key to sticking to monthly meal plan on a budget is to make sure that when you are making your grocery list, you put for every single item an estimated cost and then total what you expect to pay at the register.
It’s a super simple step that you can do to make sure you stick to your grocery budget. I make it even easier for you with this free meal planning printable.
My Favorite App for Grocery Shopping on a Budget
No mom has the time to spend continuously scanning apps looking for the best rebate offers and sales. Which is why I have minimized my rebate strategy to help maximize my savings in the smallest amount of time.
Then once I get all my groceries home, I will quickly open the app and search the two stores that I just went shopping at to see if there are any rebates that apply to my groceries. There are usually 3-4 that I can claim. This saves me around $5 each time I use the app.
If that doesn’t sound like much, trust me! The three minutes that it takes me to save $5 is 100% worth it! These small savings add up quick and once you hit $20 you can cash out in PayPal or Venmo, or choose from a bunch of really awesome gift cards! I usually choose Target and treat myself to a well deserved “mom’s only” snack!
If you are new to Ibotta, sign up using this link or the code: qybjrj and you will automatically get $10 after you claim your first rebate! So easy!
July 2018 Family Meal Plan on a Budget
Do you want to get my monthly meal plan printables earlier? If you sign up for my weekly newsletter, you will get them the week before the new month starts! Pretty handy right?
July 2018 Grocery Haul
Take a peek at what it looks like to buy all non-perishable or freezable groceries for this exact meal plan.
I’d love to hear any questions you have! Leave them down in the comments below!
The LAST TIME You Will Ever Start a Budget!
Your FREE toolkit for creating a goal based budget to keep you motivated and start achieving a life you never thought possible!