Today I am way excited to introduce you guys to a super sweet girl named Kelley! She is visiting from Lavender and Cream and has so much knowledge and insight into eating healthy and clean. If you are interested in learning more about eating tasty and healthy foods then you really need to go check out her blog! She is here today to share one of her healthy yet frugal recipes with us!
Now lets get right on to the good stuff, here she is:
Hi, I’m Kelley! I’m a freelance writer, social media enthusiast, food lover, and blogger at Lavender & Cream. My blog focuses on nutritious food that tastes amazing, as well as healthy lifestyle tips and weight loss encouragement. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. Now let’s get you in on a few tips!
Raise your hand if you’ve heard of chicken broth!
Now raise your hand if you’ve heard of bone broth!
….Yeah, I wasn’t too aware of it either until recently.
Lately bone broth has been everywhere. Blogs, magazines, talk shows, you name it. People have finally started to recognize the simple broth that has amazingly powerful healing benefits—and the best part? Bone broth can be bought or made for merely pennies.
So what is bone broth?
Bone broth is made from exactly what it sounds like—animal bones! I know it sounds kind of…um…creepy. But I promise you, it doesn’t taste much different than your average chicken broth. And the health benefits that this broth packs will be well worth the small creep-factor.
You could use chicken or beef bones, even fish bones if you wanted to. Spices and veggies are added to boost the flavor, and the result is a stock pot filled with health-boosting liquid gold.
Why drink it?
There are a ton of reasons to drink this stuff on the reg (seriously, I could go on forever), but I’ll give you the top 7 absolute best reasons.
1. 1. Drinking bone broth improves digestion, allergies, gut health (yes, “gut” is a technical term), and your immune system. Studies show that bone broth actually fights off viruses such as the cold and flu.
2. 2. The amino acid glycine, found in bone broth, promotes sleep and helps to calm the mind (uhhh, hi I need that!)
3. 3. Bone broth is filled with anti-inflammatory amino acids.
4. 4. Packed full of magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium—vitamins and minerals needed to help keep our bones healthy.
5. 5. The gelatin and collagen in this nourishing broth ensure glowing skin, strong nails, and hair growth.
6. 6. Reduces cellulite by improving connective tissue (helloooo, smooth legs!).
7. 7. It’s super cheap! You can make your own by buying bones from your butcher (make sure they’re bones from grass-fed animals) and slow cooking them in a crockpot for a day, OR you can buy a box of organic bone broth for the same price as plain old chicken broth. Whole foods sells it, and any health store near you should also carry it.
So there you have it! A nutritious meal, jam-packed with vitamins and minerals that won’t break the bank.
Have you ever had bone broth?
- Two quarts bone broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 ounces thin egg noodles (or whatever kind of noodles you like)
- Parsley, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat and add garlic, carrots and celery.
- Stir constantly until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add bone broth and bring to a boil.
- Bring down to simmer and add in noodles.
- Cook until noodles are al-dente and serve with parsley.
- Shredded chicken may be added for even more great flavor.
Thanks for visiting Kelley!
The LAST TIME You Will Ever Start a Budget!
Your FREE toolkit for creating a goal based budget to keep you motivated and start achieving a life you never thought possible!