This post contains affiliate links.
As soon as the weather starts to cool down and the layers of clothing start to stack up, the very first thing I start to crave is a cozy hot bowl full of this slow cooker chili recipe! All the different layers of flavor loaded into a deep bowl covered with a gooey layer of cheese… Oh man! That’s the way to start the season off right!
There is a little bit of a secret ingredient in this slow cooker chili recipe that I am going to share with you. The secret ingredient is… a dry ranch dressing mix. Doesn’t that seem a little weird?
Have you ever added something like this to chili before? I can’t quiet explain what it does to add to the chili. Your chili wont taste like ranch dressing I promise! But do not leave this out because it adds so many flavors to the chili!
This slow cooker chili recipe is one I get going in the morning when I know there is a busy day ahead of me. It is super easy to put together and beyond delicious and comforting to eat at the end of a long day.
Top off your bowl with a dollop of sour cream, a few pieces of fresh cut green onions, or maybe a few crispy pieces of bacon. All the classics are great but if you have nothing on hand this chili is perfect all on its own.
Don’t have a slow cooker?
Maybe I can talk you into getting one… Working mom or stay at home mom. I have done both and either way I have always been obsessed with getting my dinner ready in the morning and not thinking about it until its time to put the food in my mouth! You can find really reasonable deals on them. This slow cooker is just like the one I use and I love it to pieces! Oh, and don’t forget some nice deep soup bowls because you are going to want a lot of this slow cooker chili recipe for sure!
What makes this recipe even more amazing is that it can be made in a crockpot. Oh how I love to use the crockpot! It just saves me so much time and stress when I get that thing going! But if you need a last minute meal you can also make this in a pot if you didn’t plan ahead. This recipe caters to the best of both worlds!
- ½ lbs stew meat, small cubed
- ½ lbs ground beef
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 – 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1 – 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 – 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilies with juice
- 1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 – 14 oz. can beef broth
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 – 10 oz. packet ranch dressing mix
- In a large pan, sear the stew meat over high heat. You aren’t trying to cook the meat just give it a light brown searing on the outside. More the meat into your slowcooker.
- Cook the ground beef thoroughly, drain excess fat, and put into your slowcooker.
- Put all the other ingredients into the crockpot, stir to combine, and let cook on low for 6-8 hours.