I knew I was going to need to know how to make a bow tie as soon as I found out I was pregnant with my son. What I didn’t know was how much I was going to fall in love with the cute little things (the bot ties and my baby boy) and want to put them on everything!
Are you in or out on getting your family and/or kids all matchy matchy? There is a fine line of too much is too much but I love a subtle coordination of outfits. This can be done tastefully with bow ties! Although if your hubby is anything like mine it might take a little persuading to get him to join in. If that fails, hopefully you can at least get the kids to agree!
As with most of my sewing projects I love to find a great deal on fabric at Joann’s! To get the very best deal hold out for a 20% off your entire purchase than go and look for cute fabrics that are already on sale to stack the savings! Don’t forget to check their clearance bins!
A little tip, I got 50 alligator hair clips and 40 clip on earing (for the boys clip) all for $3 at Michaels! I found the hair clips on clearance and used a 40% off coupon for the earing clips, AND they were having a sale! When you buy 3 you got an additional 15% off. Bam! Use what you find on sale!
Now make sure to set your timer when you are making these bow ties because I can guarantee that it is not going to take you longer than 5 minutes to make one! They are super simple and turn out over the top cute! Your little one is going to feel so fancy wearing these!
How to Make a Bow Tie
Things you are going to need to make for 1 bow tie:
• Hair clips (for girl bow tie hair clips) or clip-on earing (for clip-on bow tie for boys)
• One fabric piece cut at 10”x5”
• One fabric piece cut at 3”x3”
• Sewing machine and matching thread
• Hot glue gun and glue
• Sewing needles
Steps to make a bow tie:
1. Cut your fabric pieces out.
2. Fold the large piece of fabric long ways in half with the bad side facing out. Sew along the long end. Flip so the good side is facing out again. Press with the seam in the middle. (See video above)
3. Now fold in half the short way and press to find the middle. Open back up and fold each short end into the middle making sure to overlap just about a ¼”.
4. Sew on top of the over lapping pieces right down the middle.
5. Fold the small piece of fabric in half with the good side facing out. Press the seam flat.
6. Fold in half with the seam facing out. Sew along the short end with a ¼” seam. Turn right side out to create a tube.
7. Scrunch the large rectangle to create the creases of the bow and thread through your small tube. Fluff to form bow tie.
8. You can use a small dab of hot glue to hold in place.
9. On the backside of your bow tie, attach your preferred clip with hot glue and then your done!
Who do you plan on making one for? Do you have any extra tips on how to make a bow tie? I would love to hear so please let me know in the comments below!