The first time I ever tried caramel filled chocolate cookies it was love at first bite! Because really, what combination is better than caramel and chocolate? Peanut butter and chocolate might come in at a tie. But that is beside the point.
Taking a bite from one of these lovelies is sure to win your affection! The chocolate cookie on it’s own can make you swoon. Is it starting to sound like I am a little obsessed with these cookies? I very well might be! So consider yourself warned, once you try these caramel filled chocolate cookies you might not be able to control yourself from eating the entire batch!
Now don’t let the “filled” part of these cookies scare you away. There is a simple step that will take your cookies to this next level. You might remember a while back when all the candy bar companies started making the unwrapped bite size candies. Well, that is what you are going to use to fill your cookies.
For this recipe I used the Caramel Milky Way candies but you really can use any one of your favorite bite size candy bars to wrap up in the cookie dough.
How to Make Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies
In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar. Once completely combined add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Keep mixing until everything is mixed well and the batter has become light and slightly airy. It should look like this.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add your dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Combine together on low and be sure not to over mix. Once combined stop mixing and put dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Now don’t you skip this step! The cookies won’t bake properly if the dough isn’t chilled.
Now you are ready to scoop one inch balls of your dough then press one of your candy pieces into the center. Wrap the cookie dough around the candy and roll into a ball.
Next give the little cookie dough balls a bath by rolling them around in the sugar.
Place them on your cookie sheet prepared with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8-12 minutes. The cookies are finished baking when the tops of the cookies are soft to the touch but not gooey. It’s better to under-bake then over-bake in my opinion!
Okay! You have to let me know how your cookies turn out! Tag me on Instagram @PenniesIntoPearls or on Twitter @PenniesToPearls with a pic of your caramel filled chocolate cookies. I can’t wait to hear how much you love them!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 2 Tbs milk (room temp)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package of bite size caramel candy bars
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (for rolling cookie dough in)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer beat together the butter and brown sugar.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl and add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into your mixer bowl. Combine slowly and mix only until ingredients are combined. Don’t over mix.
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Scoop out 1 inch balls of cookie dough. Press one piece of candy into the center of the ball. Wrap the dough around the candy.
- Next roll the ball in the sugar and place about two inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8-12 minutes. Cookies are done baking when the tops of the cookies are soft to the touch but not gooey.