Who doesn’t like a sugar cookie? Really! There might be a handful of people out there who think it’s too sweet. What with all that sweet cookie base and the lusciously soft frosting caked on top! Yum! Well, first, that person is not me! Lets just make that clear. But to those sugar cookie unbelievers and to everyone else, these just might be the cookie to break your boycott!
If you aren’t looking to spend the time cutting out all the fun shapes and frosting the little darlings, then these will be perfect for you! This is my go-to sugar cookie recipe for when I need a sugar cookie fix but don’t feel like going through the “work” of making sugar cookies.
They are super soft on the inside but since they are rolled in sugar, they have a sweet crisp thin outer layer. Perfection!
Here is how easy and quick these are to make (sorry I don’t have any pictures of the steps! Ill come back and add some next time I make them):
First, start by creaming together your butter and sugar. This is the part of the recipe where you really want to let that mixer work! Get that butter and sugar completely combined until it looks light and pretty!
While your mixer is hard at work, in a medium bowl softly whisk together your flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set it aside for now.
Back to the mixer. Now that your sugar and butter are combined, scrape down the sides of the mixer with a rubber spatula and add in your egg yolks and vanilla. Mix that up until completely combined.
Now here is where you need to be a little more careful with your mixing! Once your wet ingredients are all combined, poor in your flour mixture, turn the mixer on low and mix only until just combined. Make sure that the flour is completely mixed in but don’t over mix! If you do this, your cookies will flatten out when you bake them. I made this mistake the first time I made these.
Scoop 2 tablespoons size balls, roll in sugar and place on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Now bake in your preheated 350F degree oven for about 14-16 minutes or until the base of the cookies start to turn light golden brown.
Mmmm… I might have to make some more of these this weekend! (Even though I just finished the final cookie from my last batch about 2 hours ago!)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup salted butter, left at room temp for 30 min.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ powdered sugar
- 1 egg, left at room temp for 30 min.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or baking sheets.
- In a standing mixer, combine granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and butter until light and fluffy.
- Scrape sides of bowl with rubber spatula, add egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, lightly whisk together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture. Slowly mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Roll dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls. You can use a cookie scoop for this part.
- Roll dough balls in sugar to coat.
- Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 14-16 minutes just until base of cookies start to turn light golden brown.
- Colored sugar adds a fun twist!
The LAST TIME You Will Ever Start a Budget!
Your FREE toolkit for creating a goal based budget to keep you motivated and start achieving a life you never thought possible!