In one of our local malls there is a popcorn shop that is conveniently placed near the main entrance. Whoever chose that location is a marketing master! As soon as you walk into the mall you are overwhelmingly welcomed with the sweet aroma of caramel popcorn! You have to exercise your maximum level of will power to walk past without venturing in to buy a bag of caramel popcorn.
The only reason I can pass on the purchase is because I know that I can go home and make an easy caramel popcorn recipe for probably a tenth of the price! Popped popcorn is one of the most overly priced snacks you can buy. Not to mention, when you make this homemade caramel popcorn recipe you will find that the flavor is far above anything you could ever buy at a mall!
This easy caramel popcorn recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and salty all rolled into one treat! The bottom of the bowl will come way to quickly after your first handful of this golden sweet confection!
If you like to make your own gourmet treats at home for a tiny bit of the store bought price then you will also love these recipes:
Mini Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecakes
Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies
Simple Chocolate Strawberry Kabobs
Lemon Blueberry Mini Bundt Cakes
Triple Chocolate Naked Cupcakes
The recipe calls for air popped popcorn but you can definitely use microwave popcorn as long as it is plain. I have tried it with the butter microwave popcorn and it just isn’t as good.
Can’t you just imagine taking a giant handful of fresh homemade caramel popcorn straight out of your kitchen! Mmm…
I’m planning on making this easy caramel popcorn this weekend for a quick treat before we head out to go trick or treating.
Here is how easy it is to whip up a batch of homemade crunchy caramel popcorn.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup unpopped popcorn
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Pop your popcorn and put into a large bowl. You can use plain microwave popcorn, just make sure to take out all the unpopped seeds.
- In a medium size pot, melt together the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring it to a full boil. Let boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat, quickly stir in the salt, baking soda, and vanilla.
- Poor over popcorn and quickly stir to coat the popcorn with caramel.
- Transfer caramel popcorn to your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. *If the caramel is getting dark do not put back in oven.
- Once finished baking, poor out over parchment paper to cool.
The LAST TIME You Will Ever Start a Budget!
Your FREE toolkit for creating a goal based budget to keep you motivated and start achieving a life you never thought possible!